Mindful Self-Compassion COURSE DESCRIPTION
MSC is an empirically-supported, 8-week, training program designed to cultivate the skill of self-compassion. Based on fifteen years of academic research by Kristin Neff and the clinical expertise of Christopher Germer, MSC teaches core principles and practices that enable participants to respond to difficult moments in their lives with kindness, care and understanding.
Self-compassion can be learned by anyone, even those who didn’t receive enough affection in childhood or who feel uncomfortable when they are good to themselves. In fact, it is particularly helpful for those with a strong inner-critic or core experiences of shame. It’s a courageous attitude that stands up to harm, including the harm that we unwittingly inflict on ourselves through self-criticism, self-isolation, or self-absorption. Self-compassion provides emotional strength and resilience, allowing us to admit our shortcomings, motivate ourselves with kindness, forgive ourselves when needed, relate wholeheartedly to others, and be more authentically ourselves.
Rapidly expanding research demonstrates that self-compassion is strongly associated with emotional wellbeing, reduced anxiety, depression and stress, maintenance of healthy habits such as diet and exercise, and satisfying personal relationships. And it’s easier than you think.
After participating in this course, you’ll be able to:
- Describe the theory and research supporting mindful self-compassion
- Develop and apply self-compassion practices to motivate yourself with encouragement rather than self-criticism
- Assess and manage difficult situations and emotions with greater moment-to-moment acceptance
- Develop and apply self-compassion practices to respond to feelings of failure or inadequacy with self-kindness
- Transform difficult relationships, old and new, through self-validation
- Utilize the art of savoring and self-appreciation to overcome negative attention bias
- Apply core mindfulness and self-compassion practices into daily life
- Demonstrate simple self-compassion practices to patients, students, or clients
Sign Up for this Course